Who doesn’t love a great deal? I like saving money as much as the next person, but at the same time, I find myself feeling uneasy with the relentless focus on consumption that Black Friday, Cyber Monday and assorted other “shopping holidays” emphasize. And is it just me, or is Black Friday starting earlier and earlier?
I debated not doing a Black Friday post at all this year, but I know that you rely on me to let you know about great products for cats and their humans, and I don’t want you to miss out on some deals on products you maybe had your eye on for a while.
Be conscious about your shopping
Before we get to the deals, I would like to offer a few suggestions on how to be more conscious and mindful about holiday shopping this season.
- Know what you want. Don’t mindlessly scroll through every Black Friday sale offer landing in your inbox. If there’s a brand you love, or a particular product, check to see whether it’s on sale.
- Keep sustainability in mind when you shop. I’m willing to pay more for products that are produced sustainably, or from brands who have clear sustainability practices such as carbon-neutral shipping or a low or no waste policy.
- Set yourself a budget. This should be obvious, but it can be easy to lose sight of when you’re bombarded with super low prices.
- Beware of BOGO deals and other freebies. I fall for them all the time, but when you end up doing the math, they’re usually not great for your wallet. And let’s face it, how many times do you really need two of anything at one time?
- How low will you go? Don’t lose sight about how retailers are able to offer some of their seemingly impossible low prices. Somebody has to make these products, and the lower a price goes, the less likely it is that the workers who made the product were paid a living wage.
- Support small businesses as much as you can.
A few Black Friday (and beyond) deals for you
Most of the companies featured in our Holiday Gift Guide are small businesses, often run out of the owner’s home. By buying from them, you know you’ll be supporting someone who is passionate about the products they offer. Many of them are offering special discounts to Purrs of Wisdom readers through the end of the year, and may have even deeper discounts this weekend. Visit their websites (listed in the guide) to see what they offer.
If you’ve ever thought about building a catio for your cats, Catio Spaces is offering all of their plans at 50% off. Use code Purrs50 at checkout.
I would also like to reiterate the Branch Basics 20% off sale that is happening this weekend (through Monday.) I absolutely love their products, and this is a great time for you to try them. Visit Branchbasics.com to take advantage of the sale. Discount will be automatically applied through November 28.
Are you planning on doing some Black Friday or Cyber Monday shopping? What are you planning to buy?
Thanks for the tips. So many people tend to go overboard with their holiday shopping.