I am a Reiki Master Practitioner, trained in traditional Usui Shiki Ryoho Reiki. I integrate Reiki with my natural intuitive abilities and tailor each session to develop the best experience for each individual client, be it human or animal. I have been providing Reiki treatments for pets and people through Healing Hands since 2006.
What is Reiki?
Reiki is a hands-on healing method that originated in Japan. The practitioner channels healing energy through her hands to the animal through a light touch either directly on the body or from a distance. The word Reiki (pronounced “ray-key”) is a Japanese composite word usually translated as “universal life energy”. It is based on the idea that all living beings have life energy flowing through them. When life energy is high, your pets are healthy and balanced, more relaxed and less likely to get sick. When it is low, they’ll often be more easily affected by stress and less resistant to illness. Reiki is a safe complement to conventional Western medicine, Chinese medicine, herbal medicine, homeopathy and all other forms of healing.
Animals, especially cats, are naturally receptive to the Reiki energy and tend to gravitate towards it readily (some people even say cats invented Reiki). Some pets may initially prefer to experience the energy from a slight distance, rather than having the practitioner’s hands directly on them.
Reiki sessions for pets typically last 20-30 minutes. The frequency of sessions depends entirely on each individual animal’s health status and needs. Some health issues can be resolved in two or three sessions, others may take ongoing sessions on a recurring basis. As with all services Healing Hands provides, frequency of sessions will be tailored to your pet’s individual needs.
Benefits of Reiki for pets
- Enhances overall well-being. Just like people, even healthy pets can have occasional physical, emotional and mental imbalances that, if left untreated, can manifest as illness. Periodic Reiki treatments can help maintain your pet’s natural state of well-being and balance.
- Strengthens the immune system for cancer therapies. Cancer therapies such as chemotherapy and radiation present stress to an already compromised immune system. Reiki strengthens the immune system to better deal with this additional stress. It helps alleviate or prevent the side effects of conventional cancer treatments and provides pain relief.
- Accelerates healing following surgery or illness. Reiki can alleviate and prevent side effects of conventional medications such as pain killers and antibiotics, and provides pain relief and relaxation to facilitate and enhance the body’s natural healing response.
- Increases trust and bonding between you and your pet. People and pets often mirror each others’ physical and emotional states. Animals are natural healers and sometimes take on their person’s problems, often in an attempt to heal them. This happens because of the deep bond shared between a pet and his or her person. Because of the shared energy in such a close relationship, energetic imbalances are shared as well. For optimum healing, joint treatments for people and their pets can often be beneficial.
- Can help with behavior issues by promoting relaxation and stress reduction. Many behavior issues are caused by stress. Reiki has a calming effect on the pet and may help make the pet more receptive to training and behavior modification. Reiki is extremely beneficial for animals with a history of abuse. The gentle touch and the energy can help restore trust in animals who have learned to associate touch with being hurt.
- Provides comfort and relieves pain, anxiety and fear for terminally ill animals. Reiki is a wonderful way to facilitate the transition for terminally ill animals and their owners. Often, animals will not allow themselves to transition because they intuitively feel that their person is not ready to let them go. Joint Reiki treatments for the pet and his or her person can help both through this difficult time by enhancing the bond and allowing a gentle transition.
In Home Treatments
I provide treatments in the pet’s home in Northern Virginia. Please contact me to determine whether your home is within my travel radius. Most pets take to the energy readily and enjoy hands-on treatments. Some pets may be more comfortable from a slight distance. Whether given directly hands-on or from across the room, treatments are equally effective.
Reiki can be given remotely. Distance healing, also known as remote healing, is an energetic healing process that can be best explained through the principles of Quantum physics. It has been proven to be extremely effective, sometimes even more effective than local, hands-on healing.
How does remote Reiki work?
Quantum physics shows us that everything is made up of energy, and everything is connected. Everything is part of the same, continuous whole. Long distance healing is “wireless” healing. We accept that cell phones, televisions and even our garage door openers work in this wireless way. It’s not much of a leap to accept that all energy travels that way, including the energy of healing.
In a remote Reiki session, the practitioner connects with the person or animal requesting the healing energetically. Every living being has a unique frequency, and the practitioner tunes into that unique energy. We are all part of the same unified field of consciousness, and it’s simply a question of “dialing in” to the correct frequency. Once the connection is made, the practitioner sends the healing energy to the recipient.
Recipients of distance healing report the same sensations recipients of hands-on healing experience, such as a sense of heat or tingling in certain parts of the body, a sense of calm and peace, and a deep sense of relaxation.
The owner of a fifteen-year-old cat with virulent nasal discharge caused by calici virus requested distance Reiki. The cat was not eating or drinking and was frail and had very little energy. After just one distance Reiki session, this kitty started eating – in fact, she got up towards the end of the session and went to her food bowl and ate for the first time in days. Improvement continued with subsequent sessions. Her owner reported that she had more energy and seemed stronger.
Why choose remote healing over hands on?
Other than the obvious reason – the person or animal requesting the healing is not in the same geographical area as the practitioner – remote healing can be a good option for animals who are skittish about being with strangers or too hyper to sit still. For humans with busy schedules, remote sessions allow them to benefit from the energy without having to make time to drive to and from the session. Remote treatments are just as effective as in person treatments and can be preferable to hands-on treatments in some instances. Distance treatments are also quick to schedule: in emergency situations, I can usually offer a distance treatment the same day.
Treatment Length and Fees
Treatments typically last 15-20 minutes depending on how much energy the animal is willing to take. The fee for a treatment is $75. All treatments are by appointment only. Please e-mail me to set up an appointment for your pet, or for yourself.
For more information about Reiki and about the services I provide, please visit the Healing Hands website.
Reiki and other alternative therapies are not a substitute for veterinary care.