If you’re going to be buying flowers for Valentine’s Day, please be aware that many flowers are highly toxic, and in the case of lilies, even deadly to cats. Signs of toxicity to flowers or plants can manifest in a variety of ways, from mild stomach upset to vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, lethargy, loss of appetite, and even seizures.

The list on my infographic is not exclusive. There are many other flowers and plants with varying degrees of toxicity for cats. The ASPCA keeps a comprehensive Toxic and Non-Toxic Plant List for Cats.

If you suspect your cat has ingested a toxic plant, time may be of the essence. Call the ASPCA 24-hour Poison Control Center at 888-426-4435 immediately.

In the case of lilies, even a small amount of the plant or pollen can cause fatal kidney failure if treatment is delayed by more than 18 hours.

1 Comment on Beware of Flowers Toxic to Cats

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *